This week, my recipe idea is a summer salad, colorful and so tasty that all Foodies appetite should be satisfied.
I love summer, but who does not like it?
After all it is the season for vacations and sun! For me it is also and most important, the season of delicious fruits and vegetables …first in my mind is Melon followed by Fig , Cherries , Apricots … and all those beautiful vegetables that composed one of my favorite dishes, the Ratatouille! I could spend every summer morning in the farmers markets looking for all these wonderful flavors and never get bored !
Back to our recipe, it is a simple idea around a combination already known Melon & Italian ham, for which I put a touch of seasoning that reveals all the flavors of melon.
Let’s go to the Kitchen,
– 1/2 Melon (sweet)
– 50 to 60g Proscuitto Crudo Ham
– 10 to 12 Cajou nut / Almonds
– 6 stems Thyme
– 3 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
– 1 pinch Fleur de Sel
– Pepper (5 Baies mix)
These quantities correspond to a starter/appetizer for 2 foodies or to a version large salad/single dish for 1.
– Cut the melon, remove seeds and cut into cubes. If you have the spoon to make balls, feel free to use it. The presentation will be so much nice!
– Arrange the melon cubes into a salad bowl, add the thyme leaves and season with balsamic vinegar and fleur de sel. Mix gently to soak up all the flavors.
– Add the ham cut into pieces and mix lightly.
– Sprinkle the nuts and almonds roughly chopped over the salad and add the pepper.
Ready to Serve !
♥ Healthy Tips:
– You do not need oil for seasoning, but if you would like to add some, choose walnut or hazelnut oil.
– For a Foodie touch, you can add some cheese like parmesan or crumbled Roquefort … as you prefer 😉 (Reduce quantities of ham to keep the balance)
– In summer, this salad is very refreshing, especially if you reserve it a bit in the fridge before serving (15 to 20 minutes)
– Melon goes very well with Mint, so for example, as a variation I would suggest Melon salad with feta cheese (instead of ham) and mint…
♥ Foodie touch:
I chose to pair my Salad with a white wine, a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand served chilled sounds like a good combination. Sauvignon Blanc is a light body and fruity wine, with notes of citrus and a pronounced touch of acidity; particularity of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand is its exuberant touch of exotic fruits like kiwi. This cepage is well known in Loire Valley ( France ) but it’s New Zealand ( Marlborough ) that brought a worldwide recognition to this delicious grapes. So, I invite you to make your taste buds traveling!
My little recommendation to discover all the flavors of this wine: First, enjoy it alone, as a toast, for example. Then you can enjoy it paired with your food. You will taste the difference, the perception of wine aromas changes according to the food you are eating with it.
Bon Appétit !